Speakers: Graeme Giles & Dave Cullen
Group/Project: Waipu Kiwis
- Waipu Kiwis is a community based group bringing together a significant number of trappers and land owners to work on a coordinated large scale pest management project initiated by Marunui Conservation in 2010.
- 43 Kiwi were released in stages in the Marunui Conservation property during 2013, 2014 and 2015. This group has been breeding well – the population is now estimated to be at least 70.
- Currently there are six projects within Waipu Kiwis management.
- 289 traps are deployed in these projects of which 179 (60%) were installed within the past year.
- 54 mustelids were removed by Waipu Kiwis in past year. 310 other pests were removed. Mainly rats but also cats, hedgehogs and possums.
- Many of the new traps have been supplied by NRC, Kiwi Coast and QEII Trust. Menz Shed in Waipu have built quite a number of stoat and rat trap boxes using materials donated by ITM Waipu. Cash donations have funded purchase of hardware for these traps.
- NRC and Kiwi Coast are providing valuable technical and practical support.
- Our goal is to deploy traps over the entire 15,000 ha area by 2020.