Speaker: Warren Morunga
Group/Project: Russell State Forest Hapu Collective
- Russell State Forest Collective involves eight hapu who have worked with DOC to develop a 20 year health plan.
- The challenge is in accepting all the tools in the tool box including 1080 aerial drop
- Working in collaboration with govt depts, NGO’s community groups and universities.
- Embracing matauranga Maori and tikanga.
- The broad strategy involves setting up core area’s and then putting in infrastructure to ween off 1080 after two operations.
- Employment opportunities.
- Economic opportunities once infrastructure in place (walk tracks) Te Araroa trail.
- Translocation plan to bring back Manu.