Speaker: Ngaire Tyson
Group/Project: Kiwi Coast Coordinator, Kiwi Coast
- Now 112 entities linked into Kiwi Coast and working together
- 145,725 hectares collectively managed for pests
- 229,372 animal pests trapped by groups and projects over 5 years
- Supporting projects to connect and build continuous trapping networks over thousands of hectares
- Monitoring of kiwi and indicator species shows that it is working!
- Northland brown kiwi populations either stable or increasing at almost all project sites
- Pateke populations also increasing, plus increased sightings of other endangered species including kakariki, kaka, bellbird, bittern
- Communications hub – sharing the good news both within Kiwi Coast groups and beyond
- Focus is on ensuring all current work sustained and the hard won gains to date are not lost
- Working with partners to bring new technology and research to enable predator control and kiwi kaitiakitanga at a regional scale.