Speaker: Andrew Mentor
Group/Project: Mid North Coordinator, Kiwi Coast
- 16 established groups covering 45,000 hectares
- Pests removed in 2017 = 25,000
- 42% of Kiwi Coast Pest Tally
- 11 new groups emerging
- 20 Year History of Waimate Landcare
- Puketi Trust & Project Island Song doing the “hard yards” for threatened species.
- NRC support of Landcare groups trapping on private land 12+ years
- Multiple wildlife corridors from The Bay to Puketi Forest
- Kokako, kiwi, totouwai (NI robin), tieke (saddleback), kakariki (red crowned parakeet), pateke (brown teal), makatu (bittern), NZ dabchick (weweia), kaka, matata (fernbird).
- Challenges: Uncontrolled dogs, Kiwi road deaths, Stoats, Trap-shy stoats, Ferrets, Pigs
- Solutions? FNDC By-law, education and signage, Road speed restrictions and signage, More traps & upskilling trappers, Winter toxin pulse, Quick response to sightings, Education and culling?