Morning tea available and registration desk open from 9.30am
10.00am Hui Opening and Welcome
- 1,130 Backyard Kiwi! – Todd Hamilton, Backyard Kiwi
- Kaitiaki Kiwi on the Kauri Coast – Megan Topia, Kaitiaki Kiwi Waipoua Inc.
- Kiwi Leading the Charge – Ngaire Sullivan, Kiwi Coast
- National Kiwi Overview – Michelle Impey, Save the Kiwi Trust –
- Northland Kiwi Call Count Report 2021 – Emma Craig, Save the Kiwi Trust
- Northland Kiwi Whakapapa – Genetic Research Results – Dr Isabel Castro, Massey University
- Kiwi Populations – Why Mum & Dad are More Important than the Kids! – Tineke Joustra, Save the Kiwi Trust
1.15pm Workshopping a 10 Year Pathway to Thriving Northland Kiwi
The last strategic plan for Northland kiwi expired in 2019. View 2019 plan…
It’s time to refresh the plan, check if are we on the right track and figure out what goals to aim for over the next 10 years.
This part of the Hui invites your participation and input via workshopping key aspects of the plan. We’ll get into the nitty-gritty of key challenges, explore exciting opportunities, discuss practical solutions and brainstorm that 10 year goal. Coffee and pens provided – bring your brains, fresh ideas and good thinking!
3.00pm Workshop close
3:30pm Optional Guided Walk through Pukenui Forest – Pukenui Forest Trust (bookings are essential)
Join Rangers Bevan and Ben on a guided walk of the amazing Pukenui – Western Hills Forest, right in the heart of Whangarei. This stunning forest has it all – tranquil streams, lush jungle-like vegetation, birds, lizards, bats and of course, noisy screeching kiwi! Walk and talk with Bevan and Ben to learn all about the forest and the amazing work of the Pukenui – Western Hills Forest Trust.
The walk will take 1 – 1.5 hours over easy terrain – bring spotlessly clean sturdy boots, water bottle, and a raincoat. Numbers limited to 20 people – first in, first served!
Note that the walk starts at the carpark at the end of Amalin Drive, off Three Mile Bush Rd in Kamo. So you’ll need to drive approximately 20 mins from the Hui to there and take all your belongings with you.
Plus Gazebos & Info Stalls:
- Kiwi Coast info stalls
- Know Your Dog Workshop – bookings and info
- Kiwi Coast Kiwi Listening App – tech support